Shinkansen

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 21 14:50:40 PST 2002

> > not amtrak....bullet trains!
>
>I guess. I'm not sure it makes that much difference.
>
>Here's my original example:
>
>> BOS->WAS (413 air miles) is certainly the best example we have in the
>> US, especially since there's no non-stop service into National from
>> Boston: you have to get into Dulles instead. Interestingly, the
>> Acela Express on this route takes a little over 6:30 one way.
>
>Tokyo -> Hiroshima is 425 air miles and takes 4:39 and is on a straight
>route (as opposed to BOS->WAS having to detour into NYC). It's still
>way longer than flying (about 1:20, plus transfers).

uh BOS->WAS 180 mph train takes what 2 1/2 hrs? that's nothing...

yes, but is it cheaper and nicer? i wasn't trying to argue that bullet trains were faster than jets....what about delays? layovers?, cancelations? the general hassel of an airport....since the shinkensen has been going no trains have been more than 12 seconds late. trains are way more comfortable..... some people hate flying...shinkensen is alot faster than driving and less of a hassle.

>-----
>
>People who want faster trains in the US mostly just want the cities to
>be closer together. SEA->MIA is about 2700 miles; the longest leg of
>Shinkansen is less than 500 miles, and it takes all day;

all day? for 500 miles? that's what 3 1/2 hrs? what are you talking about? obviously the longer the distance the better it is to fly, so what? if you wanted to fly to WAS all the way around the world back to WAS it'd be faster to take the space shuttle.

> certianly too
>long to go r/t in the same day and still get some work done in the
>middle, which is my benchmark for "short, fast" trips.
>
>Oakland -> San Diego is 446 air miles. I used to regularly drive to
>the airport from Berkeley, hop Southwest, rent a car, drive to La
>Jolla, work a good 7-8 hour day, and fly back, about 4:30 total travel
>time.
>
>Sure, that's a long day; but it's just about impossible on Shinkansen.

this is crazy all you've proven was that jets are faster than bullet trains.....no shit!!

~M.E.