Shinkansen

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 21 18:57:19 PST 2002

>Micheal Ellis, who has never been on a bullet train, says:
>
>> all day? for 500 miles? that's what 3 1/2 hrs?
>
>No actually, it's between 5 and 6 hours, depending on if you get
>an express train or have to switch in Osaka.

still 5 or 6 hrs is not all day......still more people take the trains in japan than fly....that is from what i've read...so it must be competitive.....i don't think they'd have bullet trains for going on 30+ yrs if they weren't competitive. and you were saying they weren't even competitive with buses...i also read that 70% of commuters betweenWAS and NY take the slower but still fast amtrak trains....it doesn't even matter because bullet trains are a "done deal" california and florida are already going to have bullet trains. MOREOVER it would improve the airline industry for consumers...actual competition and what not. and might just bring down the cost of flying as well. Damn India and China are getting/already have bullet trains.

and i don't even care if they are competitive i was thinking it's be better if tax money went in to mass and public transportation instead of subsidizing the high tech industry through the defense budget which so far has only produced f-22s, stealth bombers, media conglomerates, alot of dead middle easterners, spy sattelites, etc.

america: first in war and thought control, dead last in transportation and health care.

>> uh BOS->WAS 180 mph train takes what 2 1/2 hrs? that's nothing...
>
>You're not reading; I said:
>
>>> Interestingly, the
>>> Acela Express on this route takes a little over 6:30 one way.
>
>It's presently a "125mph train" so I don't think you'll ever see it
>go in 2-1/2 hours ...

you aren't reading what i was saying....125 is the amtrak train..those are much slower than the latest bullet trains. 180 mph is factoring all the turns and everything and they get faster like every 10 yrs or so.....this is getting a bit circular

~M.E.