shinkansen

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri Mar 22 06:03:19 PST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> I recently left my house in Berkeley, drove to SFO, got on a flight to
> Palm Springs, spent half an hour at the airport, flew back to San

I don't think that's realistic or representative (and it certainly isn't realistic or representative at hub airports). So far as I know, SFO and Palm Springs are both regional hubs; I don't think you'd be able to pull the same trick at LAX in a million years.

You're entirely correct that fast train service is most popular between relatively close city pairs, although I'd extend the range from 2 to 3 hours. As with everything in a capitalist society, it's a matter of service advantages, all other things being equal.

That said, the air industry does benefit from a number of subsidies, especially regarding airport and ATC, which have no comparable equivalent on the rail side. Removing those subsidies would create a significant price gap between rail and air travel. For that matter, if airlines wanted to, or could, make anything close to a normal profit margin it would boost fares significantly.

m.