Nuremberg prosecutor termed U.S. Yugo aggression most brazen since Nazis

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Mar 22 07:09:23 PST 2002

Nuremberg prosecutor termed U.S. Yugo aggression most brazen since Nazis

Excerpt from "The Economist", March 21, 2002

However, reawakened memories of the Nuremberg trials eventually turned Mr Rockler into a critic of American foreign policy. His concern came to a head with the bombing of Yugoslavia by American aircraft acting for NATO. In May 1999 he sent a letter to the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper of the town where he grew up and where he received his education before going to Harvard. It said in part

"The attack on Yugoslavia constitutes the most brazen international aggression since the Nazis attacked Poland to prevent "Polish atrocities" against Germans. The United States has discarded pretensions to international legality and decency, and embarked on a course of raw imperialism run amok...When we, the self-anointed rulers of the planet, issue an ultimatum to another country, it is "surrender or die". To maintain our "credibility", we must crush any semblance of resistance to our dictates to that country."