genuwhine swine (Re: class in america)

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Mar 22 07:54:05 PST 2002

Cian wrote:

> Its pretty hard not to be upper-middle class if you're
> British, seemingly. I mean I have a lot of stuff
> referencing Britain...
>
> Interesting to see education didn't play a part in the criteria.

fussell does go into education in his book: the usual differentiation between ivy league and the rest. he has a funny bit about people putting stickers proclaiming their college affiliations (and he pokes fun at how various institutes became colleges and then became universities) on their car windows and how serious the whole affair is...

some interesting links from google:

http://regehr.org/books/reviews/class.html http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3452/class.html http://polywog.navpoint.com/sociology/wealth_power/ctp2/node10.html http://www.paulryburn.com/journal/aug_6_2001.html

my own approach to the book is not to take the meaner parts seriously but use it more to poke fun at my own middle-class pretensions, which fussell accurately and effortlessly exposes...

as for your devious attempts to climb into the upper-middles by cleverly locating yourself in the mother country ;-), you will have to retake the test, leaving out the britain related stuff!

--ravi