genuwhine swine (Re: class in america)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:08:30 PST 2002

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>ravi wrote:
>
>>my own approach to the book is not to take the meaner parts seriously
>>but use it more to poke fun at my own middle-class pretensions, which
>>fussell accurately and effortlessly exposes...
>
>I haven't read the book (which I loved) in almost 20 years, but I
>remember that he also had an out - Class X, where hipster
>intellectuals could take refuge from his otherwise pitiless taxonomy.
>That's not on the test, though.
>
>Doug

Yes, a very funny book. Fussell was the first identify the fashion trend, now universal, toward clothing *designed* to make the wearer look imbecilic -- his prime example being what he called the "adjusto-strap prole cap," which has become almost mandatory attire among my fellow commuters. But I still don't forgive Fussell for saying that white flowers are the only classy blooms and flowers of other colors merely vulgar. Guy must have a really boring garden.

Carl