Green insincerity

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Mar 22 11:17:06 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "virgil tibbs" <sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com>

>Given that the auto companies are huge employers of
>union workers, would that not mean that what is best
>for the palnet is bad for workers in the short run?
>Tax credits only work when you have income.

A large percentage of workers at auto companies are unionized, but only a small minority of unionized workers work at auto companies. So what is arguable bad for autoworkers in the short-term is good for all workers in the short and long term. And since raising fuel efficiency does not necessarily cut the number of cars on the road, it's not clear that it hurts even auto workers. It might even add jobs in the form of those designing and implementing the new technology.

As for tax credits, they can be made refundable. And anyone with no income doesn't spend money on cars to begin with. So if we are talking about those receiving public benefits, any increase in costs due to taxes would be reflected in an increase in basic benefits. And anyone who chooses environmentally better alternatives would then be able to increase their income further.

-- Nathan Newman