85 per cent of all journeys by car

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Mar 22 12:40:23 PST 2002

Check the state tax incidence study on the CTJ web site www.ctj.org

there was also a piece in Challenge by Howard Chernick (Hunter College) and Andy Reschovsky (UW/Madison), responding to papers by Poterba and Bob Schwab (U of Md).

This was an issue in a bigger debate about annual versus 'lifetime' tax incidence. I can expand if anyone is interested, but in a nutshell everything looks less regressive in a lifetime incidence framework because you eliminate the effect of those in retirement whose consumption exceeds their income.

CBO hasn't done anything on this for a long time. It's hard enough to get people to look at the incidence of the income tax.

mbs