85 per cent of all journeys by car

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Mar 22 14:37:33 PST 2002

Quite possibly, but again this could be offset by other means in order to preserve the price incentive to economize on gasoline consumption. And I'll repeat, it's not clear how effective that incentive would be.

More likely the effect would be on final products rather than intermediaries like truckers, since the latter could deduct the taxes paid as a cost of doing business. Or they could be exempted from tax. In principle a 'consumption' tax on gasoline could be limited to consumers, as other sales or excise taxes sometimes are.

mbs