KPFK

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 22 15:25:54 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> rhisiart at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >and if the thought appeals to you, you might want to ask them why
> >they give coop a false aura of legitimacy by allowing him to have an
> >emal address at a prestigious journal like the nation.
>
> Maybe because he's a contributing editor, a frequent contributor,
> hosts their radio show, and is quite liked by most of the staff? Even
> if he doesn't pass your purity test.

Purity test? It's not his politics. It's his banal vulgarity. He reminds me of that fellow, I forget his name, who wrote the Caine Mutiny. Just plain bad vulgar prose. And you claim to be a formalist and an aesthete. It is on aesthetic grounds that one ought to tell Cooper to find a useful task to do someplace. Perhaps he could teach junior high arithemetic without embarassing his friends.

Carrol