Russian Israelis

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Mar 22 19:06:00 PST 2002

. . . I guessed Max was kidding about different standards for permitted discourse for jews and gentiles and therefore about the whole exchange and if he wasn't then he is being an idiot but it is much more likely that he is joking. john mage

Time to go to the video tape. This is what I said:

>Present company excepted, I have to say that the preoccupation
>with Yids on this list by some people creeps me out.

to which jks said,

?? Why, this is a lot of the practical work that do with Not In My Name, can't I be a self-hating Jew in public?

which is obviously a bit of a joke (though I've heard funnier), to which I replied in a jocular spirit:

Sure you can. I meant by gentiles.

end of tape.

Some people have made more out of this than what is right there, in front of your eyes. As they say, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Obviously anyone is free to criticize Israel, zionism, the Jewish state, the zionist entity, whatever. But that is not the same as the preoccupation with Yids evinced by some people on this list -- the provision of patterns or facts (even accurate ones) bereft of relevant context. By contrast, a preoccupation with self, if one is jewish, in the form of statements pertaining to jews, is a Different Thing. A preoccupation with jews if one is not jewish is creepy (even if adulatory, by the way).

mbs