brand names

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 23 18:04:37 PST 2002

>From: "Greg Schofield" <g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: brand names
>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:08:45 +0800
>
>What a difference between the US and British military, Anaconda a large
>non-poisonious snake that wraps itself around its victim suffocates it in
>its coils to swallow it whole
>
> >British one is named after the jacana or "lily-trotter"
> >- - a little wading bird that minces daintily across floating vegetation
>in
> >search of insects and molluscs.
>
>Operational names are not chosen at random and nothing could more typify
>the difference in military tactics.
>
>The US has increasing suffered from a love of brute fire-power, using gaint
>rock crushers to kill ants.
>
>Britian has a long history of winkling out guerilla fighters

"Winkle"? That reminds me of the intial encounter, in the 1979 movie Cuba, between Sean Connery, a former Royal Marine major sent to advise Batista's army in its last days, and Martin Balsam, a thuggish Cuban general. The Balsam character is somewhat dumbfounded by Connery's advice that his soldiers should go "harry" Castro's guerillas.

Carl