Lenin today

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Mar 23 12:39:39 PST 2002

> A bit from Michael Tomasky's review of David Brock's new book in this
> week's Nation: "Of parties at the home of archconservative fomenter
> Grover Norquist, who hung a portrait on his living room wall an
> doften quoted Vladimir Ilyich's dictum to 'probe with bayonets,
> looking for weakness'.... "

My experience with this crowd backs up what Tomasky (and Brock) says about the right -- they are really angry fuckers. I hung around a bunch of ex-Dartmouth Review editors in the early 90s, more out of curiosity than anything else (I'd read a ton of Review back issues and was intrigued by the mindset of its authors), and to a man they were pissed off about the culture, about liberals, about how they were perceived by others, and so on. They were also very nerdish and in quieter moments most insecure. I kinda felt sorry for them, but they made it hard for the sympathy to last.

Many years later I was reminded of their venom when I was invited on Laura Ingraham's radio show to plug my sports book. She asked me what I thought of the WNBA. I said that while I recognized it was largely a marketing ploy by the NBA aimed at young women (an untapped pro-sports market), it had evolved into something unique, and one could see the way the game used to be played by men 30-40 years ago -- emphasis on passing and passing lanes, ball control skills, shooting percentage, etc. Ingraham began shouting "LIAR! LIAR!" I thought she was kidding, but she was not. She wanted me to trash "that girls league" and I found something of merit instead. So, she screamed at me.

DP