perversely wrong

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sat Mar 23 19:26:19 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 9:02 AM Subject: Re: perversely wrong

> As a pragmatist, I don't think there's anything distinctively
philosophical
> about anything.

Seems like there's a diffrence between the sort of intellectual heavy lifting that, say, Noam Chomsky and Allan Gibbard do. If not, I have no objection to your claims that Posner's an excellent AP.

> Within limits I do agree with that.

I'd argue the point if I thought I could maintain your interest.

> Btrw Rorty gets the same beady eye from you overbuilt argument freaks. He
was > my teacher.

I don't know if it's the same. I know a grad student who believes that Rorty's a pretty damn good philosopher but thinks considerably less of Posner's philosophical aptitude. Based on the limited amount of prose I've read by and about the two thinkers, I concur.

> And furthermore, you are almost always wrong.

??? Philosophical and political questions are incredibly complicated, and I'm sure most of my answers are far from satisfactory. What of it? Do you think you're almost always right?

> Who cares?

A good philosopher needs to do philosophy.

-- Luke