Spineless Max S. and Reactionary Slander (was RE: Russian Israelis)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sat Mar 23 21:31:46 PST 2002

Over on FreeRepublic, everytime someone mentions bad politics in Africa, people seem to then have to comment on black crackheads or some such. The racial slide is what is objectionable.

There are plenty of bad things to say about Israel as a state without jumping to link it to Jews in American society. Even the issue of the "Jewish lobby" is pretty irrelevant-- most of the support for Israel comes from military hawks and Christian fundamentalists. Jews just don't have either the votes or the money to outbid oil interests who could easily go the other way if other concerns didn't exist.

Raving anti-semetic diatribes are posted by Bobby Fischer and it's mostly treated as a cutebizarro Harpers item, maybe analyzed as propaganda, but not treated on its own terms as a henious piece of racist hate mail.

And what "silence" of the left on Israel? Almost every major left organization condems Israel's policies. The National Lawyers Guild, the major left legal organization of which a number of folks on this list are members (who disagree on a hell of a lot), has been consistenty and rather harshly anti-Israel for many years, at some membership cost due to its principled position.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Cc: "Greg King" <gkin-pra at cwy-jcm.org>; "Bryan Hollands" <bryanjules10 at hotmail.com>; "Dale Fecto" <defacto at powersurfr.com>; "iand" <iand at ualberta.ca> Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 12:03 AM Subject: Re: Spineless Max S. and Reactionary Slander (was RE: Russian Israelis)

Pradeep seems to me generally correct here, without the ad hominems. The recent discussion of Cockburn on lbo-talk evinces a sort of antisemite-baiting that polices the bounds of acceptable debate, to avoid the "preoccupation" that a Chomsky shows (or is it a Different Thing with Chomsky?). When one comes to speak of Israel and American policy, one must never be -- as apparently Cockburn and Finkelstein, to their everlasting shame, occasionally are -- "bereft of relevant context." That would be to regard Israel as one would the state of some other racial group. --CGE