Spineless Max S. and Reactionary Slander (was RE: Russian Israelis)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 24 11:15:17 PST 2002

" . . . Everytime time someone criticizes Israel or goes beyong the safe, permitted liberal framework of calling for 'peace and love' in the M.E. you just know these two see the words 'Jew' and 'Yid' -- that their liberal paranoia predisposes them to see NAZI antisemitic carictures with every post in solidarity with palestenians that isnt sufficiently cringing enough, or to read Z.O.G. every time someone discusses the ideological and political roots of Zionism's colonial racism.. . . "

. . . is easily refuted by any unhysterical survey of posts on this list. Find an Israel/zionism/palestine thread, then check to see if I or BDL jump on critics of Israel (is there anything else here?), as anti- semites or Nazis no less.

What's really going on is: there are no uncritical supporters of Israel on this list who post. There are supporters of a two-state solution. But some who oppose a two-state solution augment their weak literary skills with descriptions of their targets in the most extreme terms. Their ad hominem argument (you have accused "us" [really 'me'] of being an anti-semite, you shit) is an attempt to isolate. Like the Repugs describing every Democrat who gets in their way as liberal. Or ultra-lefts describing liberals as Nazis.

This sort of "criticism" is really invective. Sometimes it gets creepy.

Henwood explained the Cockburn thing that provoked CGE.

informational note to unrabid non-Jews: I don't consider "yid" to be an anti-semitic term, especially if *I* say it. Obviously the speaker and the context make all the difference.

mbs