Kids, homes

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 24 11:47:28 PST 2002

I'll abstain on the issue of parent responsibility -- my hunch is that its importance is understated more often than not, but that's just a feeling. But there is an important point here for which I do know of evidence: the extent to which non-school factors influence education outcomes (i.e., income, poverty, housing, etc.)

Too much is put on schools by all-around critics of the public sector, and also by the Blairs' country cousins -- Clintonoids in the U.S. Not that the latter were on much of a crusade to do much about it, but the elevation of education is a stock response to demands to redress imbalances of power -- class war, if you will -- that suppress the advancement of labor. Rather than address job loss due to assorted factors, including trade, the Clinton mantra was education is the answer to everything. More education is usually better than less, but education is not the answer to the stagnation of working class living standards. Suggestions in this vein are founded on the insupportable premise that the U.S. is a meritocracy. ==mbs

The WEEK ending 24 March 2002

WHO'S AFRAID OF THE KIDS?

British education secretary Estelle Morris turned on the 'feckless' and 'yobbish' parents of supposedly delinquent children, in an outpouring of spleen that is becoming characteristic of the government's attitude to the public. Morris blames parents bad behaviour for the bad behaviour of children, and demands to know why local authorities have failed to use the 'parenting orders' that empower them to send adults to 'anger management' classes. . . .