Israel/Jews (was spineless Max & reactionary slander)

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sun Mar 24 13:40:28 PST 2002

At 01:46 AM 03/24/2002 -0500, Nathan wrote:
>Over on FreeRepublic, everytime someone mentions bad politics in Africa,
>people seem to then have to comment on black crackheads or some such. The
>racial slide is what is objectionable.

Not the same. Following 1967, a large proportion of American Jews did come out in support of Israel's policies in the middle east and did support and agitate for U.S. military and financial support. And, their overall attitude was that the arabs are backward scum who could be treated by the "advanced/cultured" jews in Israel any damned way they liked.

>There are plenty of bad things to say about Israel as a state without
>jumping to link it to Jews in American society. Even the issue of the
>"Jewish lobby" is pretty irrelevant-- most of the support for Israel comes
>from military hawks and Christian fundamentalists. Jews just don't have
>either the votes or the money to outbid oil interests who could easily go
>the other way if other concerns didn't exist.

AIPAC, AIPAC, AIPAC, AIPAC, AIPAC

But you're also right about the hawks and the xtian right.

You and I may be aware that Israel's current stance would be impossible without the U.S., but in addition to that there is a problem with Israel's insistence that all jews, except self-hating jews, are zionists. In the early days of zionism, it was pointed out that a political zionist policy could have serious repercussions on jews world-wide. This has already happened: in 48, when 75% of the Palestinian population was cleansed from Palestine, the neighboring Arab states, expelled their jewish populations in retaliation. More of this may happen in the future.

Am I an anti-semite? No.

Will the U.S. population at large be able to distinguish jews from zionists if this situation changes for the worse? I doubt it.

Will the U.S. government allow the "jews" to take the fall if the situation in the middle east does not play out as planned? I'll let you answer that one.

Joanna