If gas didn't cost less than Evian

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 24 16:44:33 PST 2002

James Heartfield wrote:

>I would like to suggest that your difficulty in imagining that those
>car journeys are, to those people, worthwhile, is your difficulty,
>not theirs. That your life is managed rather differently ought not
>make it so hard to understand car users. In the end, isn't it just
>snobbery on your part?

Oh, c'mon, this is just a defense of the status quo disguised as populism. It's a favored trick of the American right - guess it's making its way across the ocean as well.

If you think, as I do, that waste spewed by cars is harmful to the earth and the creatures who live on it, then reducing auto use is rather urgent. Driving a mile or five just to get a quart of milk - a not unusual experience in the American suburbs - can't, over the long term, just be a concern to the driver.

Even bourgeois economics has room for externalities. James Heartfield seems not to - it's all just me & my car, and the hell with everything else!

Doug