Walzer on the Left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 09:06:38 PST 2002

> > OK, there's no hope, people hate all that is good. Man is evil. We would
>be
> > good, would itw ere so, but the circumstances just aren't so (Peachum's
>song
> > in tyhe 3Penny).
>
>You do love your Brecht.

What's not to love? This is bread, the stuff of life. Oh, I got the translation wrong, it was late: it's Wir waeren gut, anstatt so roh, aber die Verhaeltnisse, sie sind nicht so: we would be good, instead of rough, but the circumstances aretoo tough [well, literally, aren't so, but that doesn't rhyme].

> > Sure people are not presented with policies taht express
> > their progressive inclinations. Who presents themwith such policies?

You can tweak the resulyts by how you
> > frame the question.
>
>True. My bad for being ambiguous about what I disagreed with in your prior
>statement. However...
>
> > Keep race out, whitew orkers give liberal answers. Put
> > it in . . .
>
>...when it comes to some programs, white workers will inject race in
>themselves.

Evidence? Btw, although a very bad effect of the destruction of AFDCis thatpeople are homeless and starving, a good effect is that the welfare queen talk has fallen out of favor. now if we could only make workfare into a program that gives real jobs at real wages?

. . . However I think individualism is
> > dependent variable.
>
>Surely. But why do you see fit to mention its dependence?

Because it's not the main explanation for the diff between Europe and here.

jks