Spineless Max S. and Reactionary Slander (was RE: Russian Israelis)

sui.generis at myrealbox.com sui.generis at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 25 13:07:21 PST 2002

>pradeep wrote:
>
>>to and kept in line by the ideological policing

^____________________^

max's odd interpretation:

>but I always thought cop-accusations
>were an expelling offense on left lists.

you think he's calling you a sizzlean? for real? i can't figure out why otherwise intelligent seeming men would leap to this conclusion, unless they failed to read anything pradeep said or were truly unmoored from the point he's making. i know doug's not, b/c he said as much.

pradeep is talking about ideological policing of the kind that, say, carrol frequently does. it's the kind of ideological policing that goes on in the mainstream when someone brings up Nazis and Hitler in order to smear an opponent's argument and shut them down. it's probably the kind of ideological policing you silently accuse me of when i bitch about sexism or classism among members of this list. it's the kind of ideological policing that angela once accused you of because you use "the people" and their desires as a mask for the political policies you think should be pursued. heartfield does the same. ideological policing because lefties, heartfield thinks, shouldn't hate the workers so. it's a bit of moral entrepreneurship.

as I already said, BFD, since we all do it. though, i think pradeep's point is that ideologically policing of the sort that brad has been doing is a kind of moral entrepreneurship that has a special place in US political discourse.

>As for the discourse police, I never read the New Republic, spend a lot of
>time denouncing the Democratic Party, and have written gossipy though
>hostile items about Dissent. Neither Max nor Brad is a cop, and if you
>think they are, you're hallucinating. I don't agree with them on some
>things, and you obviously don't on more things, but they are not the enemy.
>
>Doug

a vedy vedy curious statement from someone who professes to have read judith butler's work on the little cop within us all.... vedy vedy strange....

kelley