Israel

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 25 13:35:58 PST 2002

[1] There are two objections to Israel: in order of importance,

(a) Israel is a leading US client, by which it maintains a situation of oppression in the Middle East, with a possibility of cataclysmic war; and

(b) Israel is a racist state, economically sustained by the US.

[2] There is obviously a significant pro-Israel lobby in the US. It is made up of various disparate groups (including fundamentalist Christians) and a significant percentage of American Jews.

[3] That lobby is powerful and effective, although it couldn't prevent any US administration from seriously countering Israeli policies (or even from abandoning Israel altogether) as it did in 1956, if those policies was seen as not finally serving the interests of the US.

[4] If US interests are reassessed and Washington decides to permit a genuine political settlement, Israel does have options, despite its dependency on the United States. In the 1950s, Prime Minister Moshe Sharett privately deplored the "preaching" of high-level Labor party officials "in favor of acts of madness" and "the diabolical lesson of how to set the Middle East on fire" with "acts of despair and suicide" that will terrify the world as "we go crazy," if crossed, an early expression of the "Samson complex." After the Lebanon invasion, Aryeh (Lova) Eliav, one of Israel's best-known doves, deplored the attitude of "those who brought the `Samson complex' here, according to which we shall kill and bury all the Gentiles around us while we ourselves shall die with them." Others too have regarded the greatest danger facing Israel as the "collective version" of Samson's revenge against the Philistines. Israel's nuclear armaments, well-known to US authorities for many years, render such thinking more than empty threats.

--CGE