Is your war really necessary?

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 14:33:04 PST 2002

Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher at igc.org> writes

"perhaps that [poor air quality in third world countries] has more to do with their poorly designed factories built for export-oriented economies"

I don't doubt that factories play their part, but evidence on South Asia is that wood smoke burnt for fuel is the principle cause of respiratory illness.

And "again i ask, would you have opposed the removal of lead from gasoline".

I beg your pardon, I did not hear you ask it the first time, but since you ask it of course I welcome the removal of lead from petrol. Why would I not? It makes cars cleaner. I'm looking forward to the nil emission car, too.

And then you go and spoil it all by saying

"perhaps if you think the very notion of auto waste is really upperclass snobbery, you wouldn't mind sitting in a closed garage with the car running for a while"

Which is a bit like saying fuck off and die, so I'd better not respond to it.

PJ Wells writes:

ALL the official slogans Heartfield mentions were neither from the 1930s or the 1970s but from the period 1939-45.

Not so. Only 'dig for victory' was never used in the 1970s - all the others were current then, and 'save it' was introduced in the seventies. Stafford Cripps recipe for Nettle Pie comes from post-war rationing, not war-time. Holidays at Home I admit was Islington Council during the war. 'Is your journey really necessary?' was used in the 1930s. -- James Heartfield Sustaining Architecture in the Anti-Machine Age is available at GBP19.99, plus GBP5.01 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'. www.audacity.org