Now I am sick of cars

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 16:46:01 PST 2002

Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher at igc.org> writes

"i may have missed something. if we all want a nil emission car, then presumably we agree that auto emissions are sufficiently bad that they ought to be done away with altogether, and then i wonder, why are we fighting about this?"

No, I am looking forward to the nil emission car because it will put the 'global warming' case against cars finally to bed. (I'm assuming incidentally that it will not put the case against cars to bed, because ultimately its not about global warming). Lead in petrol, on the other hand, was a well-established menace that was rightly dealt with.

I do agree that if you sit in an enclosed garage with the engine on that you will die as the carbon monoxide molecules bind with the haemoglobin in your lungs, but I wasn't aware that anyone was suggesting that this could be reproduced outdoors on a global scale.

Anyway, if you'll forgive me, I must bow out on this discussion now, because it is eating up my time. I'm sure that everything I've said has been pedantic, one-sided and maybe even wrong, but that's e-mail for you. -- James Heartfield Sustaining Architecture in the Anti-Machine Age is available at GBP19.99, plus GBP5.01 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'. www.audacity.org