Playboy soliciting `Women of Enron' for upcoming pictorial

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 25 17:33:04 PST 2002

Associated Press : Texas Wire

Playboy soliciting `Women of Enron' for upcoming pictorial

By KRISTEN HAYS (Associated Press Writer) The Associated Press

Web Posted : 03/25/2002 1:48 PM

Playboy Magazine may entice some of those who lost their shirts in the Enron scandal to reveal more than even investigating congressional committees want to see.

The Chicago-based adult magazine is inviting Enron women, past and present, to send snapshots of themselves clad in bikinis if they wish to appear in an upcoming "Women of Enron" issue.

"That's rich," said Deborah DeFforge, co-chairwoman of the Severed Enron Employees Coalition. "That's kind of a highlight. We've had so much depressing news or stressful news, and then to all of a sudden come up with something like that, it's kind of cute."

Plenty of women at the heart of scandals have appeared on Playboy's pages, from presidential sexual harassment litigant Paula Jones to televangelist mistress Jessica Hahn.

Darva Conger, the "Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire" bride whose celebrated TV nuptials in February 2000 ended in a quickie annulment, followed pleas for privacy with posing for Playboy.

But Elizabeth Norris, spokeswoman for the magazine, said the accounting and finance scandal that emerged from Enron's stunning failure last year didn't necessarily pique Playboy's interest.

"This is an opportunity for them to do something fun in the midst of the turmoil that's going on in their lives," Norris said.

"I don't think I thought when we decided to do this that these were women of scandal. These are women who are out of a job," she said. "We are offering what you could view as a part-time job, or what might turn into a new career."

Norris said the magazine plans to wait for interested women to approach Playboy rather than solicit candidates. They must provide proof of employment at Enron, and the offer is open to current workers as well.

Norris also said editors hope to assemble the issue "as soon as possible," but couldn't yet provide a publication date.

Enron spokeswoman Karen Denne said the company declined comment on the model search.

Rebekah Rushing, one of thousands laid off when Enron filed the largest corporate bankruptcy in history on Dec. 2, initially was speechless. Rushing quickly found another job and has since run one of two funds in which donations are funneled to former workers who need help with basic needs, such as mortgage or rent payments.

"I guess that's their way of trying to help, I don't know," Rushing said. "Maybe there's somebody out there who would do it.'

DeFforge said she wouldn't pose, but more power to others who might.

"I'm sure there are some in the younger set who would be perfect," she said.