Fed considered extreme measures

edickens edickens at DREW.EDU
Tue Mar 26 10:24:33 PST 2002

Yes, greater transparency is the mantra of neo-liberal financial reform. The Fed usually presents arguments for greater flexibility (and thus less transparency) for the sake of easing; but when the archives open we usually find that their real concern was for how to tighten. The official word is that they are investigating the kinds of things everyone keeps telling the Bank of Japan to try: Direct intervention in the FX market, "operation-twist" style purchases of long-dated bonds, saturation of the market with reserves, writing options on long-term interest rates, etc.

Tom Dickens