Lenin today

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 26 09:44:22 PST 2002

>Bradford DeLong wrote:
>
>>What I don't understand is their longevity: Why does Howard Kurtz
>>quote Andrew Sullivan? Why didn't Dan Quayle fire William Kristol
>>in March of 1989? These are things I genuinely do not understand...
>
>Because mainstream liberals really do feel paralyzed by guilt, and
>harbor the secret conviction that the right really is right, and
>they are mushy and weak? Because the American mainstream still needs
>the myth of a subversive and dangerous left, as absurd as that is,
>to maintain social discipline, and the right is an indispensable
>ally in that battle?
>
>Doug

You are *supposed* to construct *structural* answers based on analyses of real, concrete social practices and patterns. You are *not* supposed to reify the scattered and diverse opinions of thousands into a single collective consciousness to which you attribute agency, and then explain concrete historical and political episodes by its goal-directed actions.

Bad Doug! Bad Doug! Bad!

:-)

Brad DeLong