Shackleton

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 12:42:42 PST 2002

Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes

"Heartfield. Prior to being a mere catalyst for the faux-progressive ravings of Living Marxism alumni, Antarctica was the setting for genuine

heroics by early explorers like Scott, Shackleton and Mawson."

I think that the TV show must be the one already shown here, if so I have to say it is mawkish imperial nostalgia. Scott and Shackleton (I must plead ignorance on Mawson) were staples of the Empire propaganda that we were all raised on over here, along with Mungo Park and Livingstone and Stanley. Doubtless Shackleton was a hero of sorts, but this show if it is the same one, does not do him justice. -- James Heartfield Sustaining Architecture in the Anti-Machine Age is available at GBP19.99, plus GBP5.01 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'. www.audacity.org