Russia, Ukraine, CIS

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Mar 27 11:57:53 PST 2002

At 09:51 AM 03/27/2002 -0500, Chris posted:
>So whoever leads in the Rada, be it Yushchenko, Simonenko or somebody
>else, neither the georgraphy, nor the economy, nor the culture of
>Ukraine will be able to change this. But while they do not change, the
>most important thing will also not change: the real America for
>Ukraine - as for the other countries of the CIS countries - remains
>Russia.

One of my favorite anecdotes from the dissolution-of-the-soviet-union era concerns a political meeting in one of the former republics (Estonia? Lithuania? Belorus?) where a frenzied argument about the virtues of seceding from the soviet union is unwinding. At one point a bewildered representative gets his turn to speak, and he croaks out, "I don't understand. Why should we be independent? We didn't do anything wrong!!!"

:)

Joanna