Naomi Klein in Argentina

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Wed Mar 27 15:20:34 PST 2002

John Mage wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> >

> >> 'Cause now it's clear that Bush/IMF would prefer a full blown social
> >> crisis, followed by military coup
> >>

> > Really? After almost two decades of crap about "democracy"? I
> > realize the propaganda machine doesn't adhere to the highest
> > standards of consistency, but wouldn't they have a wee bit of a
> > problem handing a coup?
> >
> > Doug
>
> A wee bit, but not much more than a wee bit. It's already under way if
> you look at FT etc. In Argentina Menem will front for the generals,
> after "chaos", "breakdown", "anarchism", and "terrorism" - accompanied
> by some cluckclucking about how it was unfortunate but necessary given
> how "irresponsible" the Argentine people are.

1) Bush et.al. would have to "convince" Brazilians, Chileans, Uruguayans, etc. etc.that a coup is the only way out...would the military in the region resist the temptation of replicating an eventual coup???

2) Bush et.al. would have to "convince" even the (argentinean) military. They are not willing to step on that direction....except for a really small and not representative fraction...

3) Bush et.al would have to convince Democrats, wouldn't he?

Too many "would haves" just from the top of my head...

> It's also happening in Venezuela, where classic CIA destabilization is
> underway using oligarch-controlled media & corrupt union bosses etc, and
> the repeatedly elected government of Chavez is already being called
> "authoritarian" & accused of endangering "freedom of the press" and so on.

Right, and no doubt the CIA would try to play the same game here in the south, but I still feel there is a difference betwen us (the south south) and the northern south....

> It will be interesting to see who - if anyone - here will start spouting
> this stuff when the going gets rougher, as it's about to - starting in
> Colombia. The US is on the offensive in Latin America, and
> relations between liberals and lefties are put under a lot of strain
> when US imperialism is in its military phase. Happened in WWI, VietNam...
>

> Quoting the very knowledgable Jim Petras (in a piece to be published in
> MR in May) on the question that Doug asks: "The reversion to client
> military dictatorships with a civic facade will not prevent the Bush
> Administration from claiming to be 'defending democracy and free
> markets'. The U.S. mass media can and will embellish on this and any
> variety of related motifs."

possible, but unlikely, imho (hope I am right)