"ascriptions jostling forward"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 27 15:36:30 PST 2002

Brad Mayer wrote:

>Please. "Cop" here appears to mean, metaphorically, "ideological
>police", surely this usage has been seen before? But it fits the
>mbsers and Chip Berlets of the world to a tee (especially the
>latter) who, when they can't deliberately ignore context in order to
>slander their political opponents as "anti-semites", seek to
>accomplish the same by pretending to have been charged with being
>actual police agents. And then, demanding the "expulsion" of
>individuals.
>
>These two are very good at the disruption and debasement of
>political debate without the redundancy of actually being "police
>agents".

Right. Max Sawicky and Chip Berlet shrink from political debate. Is your idea of "debate" a conversation among people who basically agree with each other?

The "redundancy of actually being 'police agents'"? I don't know whether the adjective that leaps most prominently to mind is ludicrous, offensive, scurrilous, delusional, or sad.

Happily, this thread had been petering out until you brought it back to life. This time it really should die or I'm going to kill it.

Doug