FW: Claremont Institute Precepts: A Prayer for Holy Week

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Mar 29 09:50:39 PST 2002

Here is some edifying material about how the United States is doing God's work.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

-----Original Message----- From: precepts at claremont.org [mailto:precepts at claremont.org] Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 14:46 To: crdbronx at erols.com Subject: Claremont Institute Precepts: A Prayer for Holy Week

Claremont Institute Precepts: A Prayer for Holy Week

"In December 1944, American soldiers were fighting desperately against the last great German offensive of World War II, the Battle of the Bulge. Men were dying in large numbers. The counterattack had bogged down in mud and rain. Planes could not fly because of low clouds. General George Patton, commander of the Third Army, called his chaplain into his headquarters and said:

Chaplain, I want you to publish a prayer for good

weather. I'm tired of these soldiers having to fight mud

and floods as well as Germans. See if we can't get God

to work on our side. . . .

Chaplain James O'Neill: May I say, General, that it

usually isn't a customary thing among men of my

profession to pray for clear weather to kill fellow men.

Patton: Chaplain, are you teaching me theology or are

you the Chaplain of the Third Army? I want a prayer.

O'Neill: Yes, sir.

The prayer was printed on a card and distributed to every soldier of the Third Army. It read:

Almighty and most merciful God, we humbly beseech thee,

of thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate

rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair

weather for battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers

who call upon thee that, armed with thy power, we may

advance from victory to victory, and crush the

oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish

thy justice among men and nations. Amen.

An editor's footnote in Patton's memoirs tells what happened next: 'The day after the prayer was issued, the weather cleared and remained perfect for about six days. Enough to allow the Allies to break the backbone of the German offensive and turn a temporary setback for the Allies into a crushing defeat for the enemy.'"

The foregoing is from Professor Thomas West's "Religious Liberty: A View from the Founding." It explains that according to America's Founding Fathers God is not neutral in wars between liberty and oppression, justice and evil. They thought it right and proper to ask God's favor in their war, as Patton did in his. We invite you to read the entire essay at:

http://www.claremont.org/publications/religlib_founding.cfm

And in this time of Passover and the Christian Holy Week we also invite you to join us in asking God's blessing on America's soldiers, sailors and airmen now fighting oversees. Grant them courage, strength and wisdom, that "armed with thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish thy justice among men and nations."

To subscribe to Precepts, go to: http://www.claremont.org/1_precepts.cfm , or e-mail us at info at claremont.org . To be removed from this list, go to : http://www.claremont.org/remove_public.cfm , or e-mail us at info at claremont.org . For general correspondence or additional information about the Claremont Institute, e-mail : info at claremont.org , or visit our website at : http://www.claremont.org . Changing your e-mail address? Please let us know at : info at claremont.org . Author and Claremont Institute attribution are required if used for publication.

The mission of the Claremont Institute for the Study of Statesmanship and Political Philosophy is to restore the principles of the American Founding to their rightful, preeminent authority in our national life.

The Claremont Institute | 250 West First Street | Suite 330 | Claremont, CA 91711 | Phone (909) 621-6825 | Fax (909) 626-8724