LBO quotable notables

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Mar 29 21:35:10 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 5:51 PM Subject: LBO quotable notables

> From today's Wall Street Journal, "Mood Swings in Favor of Regulation":
>
> "'The news cycle is driving the Bush administration toward re-regulation in
> the interest of promoting corporate citizenship,' says Brad DeLong, an
> economic historian at the University of California at Berkeley and an
> economic adviser in the Clinton Administration. 'They're not trying to hold
> back a backlash. They're trying to lead it, to say, "We're the party of
> responsible corporations."'"
>
> Carl

Except the problem is not how corporations are regulated but how they are *constituted* via property and contract law. Under the Hohfeldian schema the regulation/deregulation binary looks ridiculously simplistic.

< http://www.aae.wisc.edu/bromley/pdfs/sjadbrom.pdf > for a look at how the schema is applied to landed property.

< http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/delivery.cfm/99100405.pdf?abstractid=185130 > is a critique of the Coasian approach with regards to the dilemma of corporate governance. At the bottom of the page is the link to the full piece. The author is Ugo Pagano. His page has lots of great stuff that rips into all the Alchian, Demsetz, Hart etc. approaches:

< http://www.econ-pol.unisi.it/docenti/pagano.html#didapag > is the address.

Also Michael Perelman has a brand new book out that I'm sure will please the list....Steal This Idea
: Intellectual Property Rights and the Corporate Confiscation of Creativity. Steal it while you

Doug has posted the intro on his website.

Ian