TV & violence & studies

Joanna Bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sat Mar 30 10:36:31 PST 2002

Miles wrote

It's obvious to me you haven't spent as much time studying psychology as you have studying Hegel. That's neither good nor bad in my book, but there's way more to the field of psychology than your caricature suggests. Spend a few years reading psychology research journals, and you'll find that your facile "psychology is just gussied up common sense" claim cannot be accurately applied to the entire discipline.

_________

I've spend a lot of time reading psychology; and I found the same is true of it as of the humanities in general. Some scholarship is astoundingly good: Winnicott and Bowlby come immediately to mind. But most of it is worthless. Moreover, I would say that the difference between the two kinds has nothing to do with "scientific method" per se but more with the intelligence, sensitivity, integrity, and compassion of the researcher.

Joanna