Us & Israel; alone

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Mar 31 03:19:30 PST 2002

I hope this reading of the situation is correct. Always difficult to judge since Blair likes to ride two horses at once on principle.

Small sign (very small you might think but not in terms of the perceptions of mainstream opinion in the UK): a bishop is giving an Easter Sunday sermon calling for caution about intervention in Iraq. He will have decided and the Archbiship of Canterbury will have decided whether that is going outside the consensus, and presumably they have decided it does not.

The religious lobby in the UK has been important in world development politics, and if a section of the Anglican church is against a future war with Iraq, then most of the more radical churches will be. Might even contribute to a new peace movement.

Chris Burford

London