Food Is *Clearly* Not a Human Right

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 06:48:04 PST 2002

I don't agree with dlawbaily's libertarian sentiments, but I don't think food is human right. Enough wealth or income to buy enough food, that's a human right, but that's not the same thing.

Sorry to wax philosophical here, but for once the apparatus is actually practically useful.

The difference is this: a right to something is roughly a claim to that thing that can't be taken away from you without violating justice. But "food" is perishable and the needs for are very varied. Do my kids have a right to all the pizza and ice cream they can eat? Or just to enough tofu and rice to sustain life?

You have to be able to say what the right is _to_, you see, or the claim that there is a right is empty. By contrast, if we say that everyone has a right to enough money to live a decent life, whether in the formof a job that pays reasonable remuneration or direct grants, we have something that we can actually sensibly guarantee and provide. If you have a right to a job or a subsidy, and you don;t have it, you can make a demand for something specific and get it. If you claim a right to "food," what are you claiming? Me, I claim a right to lobster tails, truffles, and caviar. Give it to me.

jks