Food Is *Clearly* Not a Human Right

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sun Mar 31 07:37:29 PST 2002

Justin, your reasoning here is kinda goonie. Why should the fact that basic human rights and in particular food vary among persons make it difficult to employ the vocab of rights? The distinction you make below seems more a concrete application of the prinicple that humans can make a claim on food. I've no knowledge of perhaps the specialized discourse on rights, but having a right a_to_ something is probably as difficult to discuss as freedom _to_ , but it shouldn't preclude identifying general rights or freedoms.