Balkanization

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 31 11:15:57 PST 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> >Seems like the only way to solve the puzzle of peace in the ME... how else
> >is it possible to ensure a cease fire between parties that hate one another
> >(and will continue to no matter what "agreements" are reached)?
> >
> >-- Luke
>
> Sure, Luke, it's worked so well in the Balkans! jks
>
> _

It butters no parsnips to define the conflict in terms of the parties "hating" each other. Hate is not an independent cause but has its roots in material relations. And those material relations are subject to analysis independently of the particular attitudes of various individuals. There are many in Israel -- in fact the internet is now full of the messages of those individuals and groups -- who see the interests of Isarel itself to be dependent on justice for the Palestinians. And we know from much experience that the "hatred" of the oppressed for their oppressors is almost always contingent upon the continuation of the oppression.

Carrol