Query: re [Fwd: 3/31 update on A20 unity scenario from ANSWER coalition]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 31 11:38:33 PST 2002

Can someone comment on whatever it is that is happening here?

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Fwd: 3/31 update on A20 unity scenario from ANSWER coalition Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:26:46 -0500 From: Greg Butterfield <gregb at wwpublish.com> Reply-To: marxism at lists.panix.com To: Marxism List <marxism at lists.panix.com>

3/31 UPDATE ON APRIL 20 SCENARIO FROM A.N.S.W.E.R. COALITION

Last Saturday, March 23, an agreement was reached between the principal coalitions calling anti-war demonstrations on April 20 to hold a unity rally that would be co-chaired and organized following the convergence of the respective marches on April 20. The International A.N.S.W.E.R. coalition (Act Now to Stop War & End Racism) considered the decision to have a joint unity rally at the conclusion of a unified march to be a major step forward for the progressive movement.

We were disappointed to learn that the A20 Stop the War Coalition [also known as “United We March”] steering committee cancelled the decision to hold a co-chaired and co-organized joint rally, which was proposed at the March 23rd meeting by their delegation and agreed to by consensus. The A.N.S.W.E.R. coalition representatives were informed by the A20 [Stop the War coalition] delegates at a March 28th meeting that their representatives had made a “big mistake” by entering into the unity agreement.

The A.N.S.W.E.R. coalition is surprised by this decision. We moved the date of our demonstration to April 20 and have participated in a series of meetings among the principal coalitions. These meetings were initiated in response to the sentiment of thousands, if not tens of thousands, of activists from around the country who desire to participate the greatest display of unity possible on April 20.

We recognize, based on the writings and demands of the two coalitions, that there may be significant political differences between and within organizations and coalitions. In our negotiations of the past weeks, A.N.S.W.E.R. repeatedly sought to have an open process to discuss political differences that might be an obstacle to unity. There have been allusions by members of the A20 coalition to “differences” that may prevent unity but no specifics had been identified until the March 28th meeting.

One reason cited by the A20 coalition as to why they could not hold a joint program with A.N.S.W.E.R. and possibly others was their desire to create a “safe space to bring grassroots organizations who may not agree on the bombing of Afghanistan.” Another representative qualified this statement by saying it was an “extreme example.”

Another reason given by the A20 representatives was that having a unified joint rally with A.N.S.W.E.R. at the conclusion of Saturday, April 20 would actually diminish the number of people in attendance.

From the beginning, A.N.S.W.E.R., a broad coalition formed on September 14, 2001, has proceeded with its organizing based on the understanding that there are many different currents within the anti-war movement and that unity does not have to be based on an unanimity of political program. Rather, A.N.S.W.E.R. has proposed that for April 20th the various groups retain their own message, hold independent opening rallies, and then come together in the streets for a mass convergence of marchers leading to a final joint rally to show people around the U.S. and the world that our movement has enough strength and maturity to stand together against the Bush Administration’s war drive that threatens the people of the planet, and against the Administration’s racist attacks on civil rights at home.

The A.N.S.W.E.R. coalition is still open to a truly united closing rally. A.N.S.W.E.R. will be proceeding with plans for a massive protest at the White House starting at 11:00 a.m., a march down Pennsylvania Avenue to a rally at Ashcroft’s Justice Department against racial and religious profiling, and then on to a concluding rally. We call on activists from around the country to take the next three weeks as an opportunity to mobilize thousands of people to come to Washington D.C. by bus, van and car caravan. At this critical moment, the anti-war and anti-racist movement must stand with the Palestinian people living under occupation who are facing a reign of terror backed by the Bush administration. We must stand against the administration's policy of limitless war targeting Colombia, Afghanistan, the Philippines and other countries. We must uild solidarity between the peoples of the world and the people of the United States. We must oppose the massive Pentagon build-up and the development of new nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction. We must demand money for jobs, education, housing and healthcare, not for new wars of aggression in the Third World.

Join us at the White House on Saturday, April 20. http://www.internationalanswer.org

NO NEW WAR ON IRAQ – HELP STOP THE WAR BEFORE IT STARTS http://www.internationalanswer.org/news/update/031802a20iraq.html

A.N.S.W.E.R. APRIL 20 CALL TO ACTION: http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/april/call.html

FULL LIST OF APRIL 20 ENDORSERS: http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/april/a20-endorsers.html

TO ENDORSE, GO TO: http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/april/a20-endorse.html#endo

DOWNLOADABLE FLYERS & MATERIALS: http://www.internationalanswer.org/download.html

BUSES, VANS & CAR CARAVANS COMING TO DC FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY: http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/april/contacts.html

*SIMULTANEOUS WEST COAST MARCH IN SAN FRANCISCO* http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/april/contacts-sf.html

A.N.S.W.E.R. COALITION ENDORSERS: http://www.internationalanswer.org/endorsers.html

A.N.S.W.E.R. COALITION STEERING COMMITTEE: IFCO/Pastors for Peace, Nicaragua Network, Mexico Solidarity Network, Partnership for Civil Justice LDEF, Committee for Justice to Defend Palestinian Rights-USA, Bayan-USA, Kensington Welfare Rights Union, International Action Center, Middle East Children's Alliance and the Korea Truth Commission.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Email: ANSWER at afgj.org Washington (202) 332-5757 NewYork (212) 633-6646 Chicago (773) 583-7728 San Francisco (415) 821-6545 Los Angeles (213) 487-2368 *Simultaneous rally and march in San Francisco http://www.InternationalANSWER.org

~~~~~~~ PLEASE clip all extraneous text before replying to a message.