Balkanization

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Mar 31 15:02:41 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 11:21 AM Subject: Re: Balkanization

> Some of us think that Balkanization is what caused the problems, Luke. ANd
> jsut cause everyone's tuckered out fighting now doesn't mean they won't
> start again.

It's not as though everyone suddenly got sick of fighting. Treaties were signed, and a strong international presence is there to ensure the implementation of their terms.

> But, as a matter of fact, in the Middle East, I think that if
> the Israelis were to pull back behind the Green Line, _and close down the
> settlements_, then peace, if not brotherhood, would break out.

I'll readily agree that Israel should take these steps, but I see little reason to believe that peace will break out on the off chance that they do.

-- Luke