TV & violence & studies

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 31 18:24:24 PST 2002

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Dennis Robert Redmond wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> > caused by multiple psychological and social factors. The Japan
> > case is not a clear test of the media aggression hypothesis,
>
> Sure it is. They're both extremely rich, urbanized, highly developed
> capitalist societies, with very similar consumption patterns and
> ideologies -- it'd be much harder to compare, say, Indonesia with the US.

C'mon, you're not serious, are you? Yes, many macroeconomic factors are roughly similar, but you are overlooking and/or trivializing substantial and numerous cultural differences. If the hypothesis under test were "media violence is the single most important determinant of real life aggression, and its effect overrides any other important psychological or social factors", your argument would (almost) be reasonable. But that's not the hypothesis.

In short: you're knocking down a straw man to discredit 40 years of diligent scientific research that you don't seem to be at all familiar with. Color me unimpressed.

Miles