Clash of Fundamentalisms

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Wed May 1 10:01:34 PDT 2002

" Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:21:32 +0000 From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: The Clash of Fundamentalisms

>Just what would a materialist analysis of indifference/hostility towards
>material
>well being consist of? Is there a hair shirt aesthetic that denies claims
>of being
>masochistic coursing through monotheisms?
>
>Ian

Actually Nietzsche'as account of asceticism in the Geneaology is materialist . . . . jks "

Just rereading it now, mostly because of the discussion of "ascetic priests" that I thought would be relevant to the priestly pedophilia scandal. Justin is abundantly right about this. This is where Nietzsche is particularly illuminating.

Also, on the specific history of Judaic, Christian and Islamic fundamentalisms, see Karen Armstrong's Book FUNDAMENTALISM.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema