Upton Sinclair, The Brass Check

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 1 13:13:57 PDT 2002

I was delighted in opening the latest issue of MR today to see that it featured a lead article on Upton Sinclair's greatest work, _The Brass Check_. For many years, in answer to people who complained about the "consolidation" of the press in the last decades I have urged them to read this work. The Press is not a whit worse today than it was a hundred years ago. Then as now it serves its owners -- the capitalist class. Complaints about the current media which look back to the supposedly brigher days of a more independent press 25 or 50 or 100 years ago are, implicitly, apologies for capitalism: their implication is that the press would be just fine if independent capitalists instead of corporations ran it.

Carrol