Upton Sinclair, The Brass Check

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 20:55:04 PDT 2002

> > The LA Times is a much better paper now that it's "corporate" and not
> > run by the Chandler family anymore.
> >
> > Doug
>
>I was talking about (or at least thinking about) smaller outlets than those
>owned by the Chandlers, Pulliams, Hearsts and McCormicks. Of course those
>family-owned papers were as bad, if not worse, than some of the grubbier
>corporate mouthpieces.

And some still are, like the Columbus Disgrace, I mean the Dogpatch, er the Dispatch, owned by the Wolfe family, whose news pages are indistinguishable from its rabid reactionary editorial page.

In fact, I was thinking about the flood of 17th and
>18th century revolutionary pamphlets and independent publishers that were
>decidedly pre-Marxist-Leninist, a mindset our dear Carrol clearly reveres.

Well, it's been a while since The Black Dwarf or Cobbett were important to the working class. Two generations ago we had Izzy Stone. Now we have Doug Henwood. But in fact the Internet offers the nearest thing to that old flood.

>Since this explosion set the stage for and eventually defined the
>Enlightenment, and since it was pre-Marx, does celebrating it constitute
>apologetics for capitalism?

Absolutely! You running dog, you.

jks