Campaign 2004: so far, so predictable

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 07:11:00 PDT 2002

[From the NY Times]

Lieberman Keeping Eye on Gore and '04

By Richard L. Berke

WASHINGTON, April 29 — Al Gore plucked him from the sidelines where he was a junior senator and put him on the Democratic national ticket in 2000. They almost made it to the White House, in fact beating George W. Bush and Dick Cheney in the popular vote.

So Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut would like to see Mr. Gore run again in 2004 and claim the position that eluded him. Right? Well, wrong.

Asked in an interview whether he thought his mentor should seek a rematch, Mr. Lieberman managed a hesitant reply: "It's a very big personal decision for him, so he's got to make it. I don't have an opinion on it."

While Mr. Lieberman is indeed grateful to Mr. Gore for choosing him in 2000, he leaves no doubt that he hopes the former vice president stays out of the 2004 race. The senator has had a taste of the national limelight and now wants the top slot for himself.

[http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/02/politics/02RIVA.html]

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx