Demos and demographics

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu May 2 09:07:43 PDT 2002

At 11:32 PM 05/01/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I noticed in DC that there were lots of people a short distance in
>both directions from 20, and a secondary bunching around 60 or
>higher. (One excellent moment: I saw a guy with all-gray hair talking
>to a young woman with orange hair - they were bonding over how much
>they hate cops. Heartwarming stuff.) Missing were people in their 30s
>through their 50s. They just busy with jobs & kids, or is something
>else at work?

Hard to say. I noticed the same thing at the rally in SF. On the one hand everyone with a job and kids IS overworked and exhausted. On the other hand, It's not just a matter of having free time. Ten years ago, when I marched against Desert Storm, there were nowhere near the number of youths I see today. Also, in my sister's age group (thirties) I know of no one who is politically active in any form.

Joanna