Lab Monkeys and drug testing

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu May 2 16:56:52 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/1/02 11:34:30 PM, owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com writes:

>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:21:26 -0400
>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>Subject: RE: Lab Monkeys and drug testing
>
>Many research hospitals are located in poor urban neighborhoods. The
>staff has a ready-made experimental population - people who don't
>know what they're signing, if they sign anything, and who are
>extremely unlikely to sue if something goes wrong.

Lest we comfort ourselves with the thought it's only those benighted who participate in the trials who pay the price ... In paid trials, if you, as a subject, report side effects, you risk being taken off the drug and having to forego subsequent payments as the trial continues. I've heard people report that they don't mention problems with the medication for this reason, and try to hang in there, even with unpleasant and possibly dangerous side effects. And on to market with the drugs. Is there a name for this? Cash-register science?

Jenny Brown Co-chair, Alachua County Labor Party 1720 NE 75th St. Gainesville, FL 32641