FT: Anti-globalisation alliance lies low

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu May 2 19:02:36 PDT 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

> As I predicted right after 9/11, the anti-war (and now palestinian
> solidarity) movment offered more promise than the anti-globalization
> movement ever did -- mostly because it offers more room for local
> activity (on the ground as a friend puts it) than the anti-g movement,
> but also importantly because it does not evoke the bizarre illusion that
> screwing up an international meeting in itself constitutes any sort of
> victory at all against capitalism. Some of the themes of the anti-g
> movement will need to be incorporated somehow into the anti-war movement
> -- how is a matter to be worked out in practice (locally more than
> nationally to begin with).

Carrol: You are carping again about stuff that you are totally clueless about. You make it sounds like there are completely separate movements with no overlap of organizers and participants. The fact is that there are many activists who do anti-glob work and anti-war work. It's called wearing different hats and it enables the various movements to have some internal and external cohesion.

The anti-globalization movement doesn't give room for local activity? Not in my experience.

Lastly, which method of activism has garnered more attention for activism and attracted thousands of new activists?

1) Peace marches with long rallies and permitted marches across the Pomotoc to the Pentagon on a Saturday morning. 2) The shutting down of meetings of international finance.

Take your pick. I'll opt for what works.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)