FT: Anti-globalisation alliance lies low

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Fri May 3 08:29:12 PDT 2002

Chuck:
>Carrol: You are carping again about stuff that you are totally clueless
>about. You make it sounds like there are completely separate movements
>with no overlap of organizers and participants. The fact is that there are
>many activists who do anti-glob work and anti-war work. It's called
>wearing different hats and it enables the various movements to have some
>internal and external cohesion.
>
>The anti-globalization movement doesn't give room for local activity? Not
>in my experience.

I couldn't have put it better. The fact that the "anti-globo" movement came out so strong for the rights of Palestinians in wonderful in my opinion. This helps to prove their (our?? )internationalist credentials. If people want to just focus on local matters, obviously that's great. But strength is in numbers and the numbers are outside of America.

>Lastly, which method of activism has garnered more attention for activism
>and attracted thousands of new activists?
>
>1) Peace marches with long rallies and permitted marches across the
>Pomotoc to the Pentagon on a Saturday morning.
>2) The shutting down of meetings of international finance.

That's easy. The anti-globalization movement has given a boost of morale to the left and done some material good. (Could the massive protests in Genoa somehow be linked to the massive general strike in Italy? I read yesterday that the German unions are about to mix it up.) In my very humble opinion the pro-Al Queda work the left has done has been counterproductive. Bin Laden momentarily slowed down the anti-globo movement and hurt the Palestinian cause. He was a godsend to the ruling class. Imagine the state of things at the moment if 911 *hadn't* happened. On the other hand, maybe all of the post-911 craziness has caused some young folks to join the left, like the Le Pen effect in France. Or the Sharon effect in Israel. I remember Hitchens writing that subscriptions to the Nation shot way up.

Peter