Hitchens on single standards

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 16:41:06 PDT 2002

>What else would you call those who felt that the al-Qaeda/Taliban gangsters
>should have been left alone? Appeasers? Cowards? Moral idiots? Certainly
>not
>"progressives."
>
>DP

Anti-imperialists. Count me in as one of those appeasers, moral idiots, and cowards. I did think that it was proper to conduct a police investigation and effect an extradition and arrest of ObL or anyone for whom there was probable cause to believe that he'd committed a crime. But I thought then and think now that the war on the Taliban--a noxious regime, like many we do not make war upon--was illegal, immoral, unnecessary, dangerous, counterproductive, and well, imperialist. So I am sorry to have to stick you with that label, Dennis. jks